Thursday

Happy 60th Birthday Dad!!

A truly great man turns 60...My Dad!! On August 1st 2008, my sweet dad celebrated his 60th birthday surrounded by family and friends, just the way he likes it. The weekend began with a cookout on Friday at my parents lake house and a shared "mini" cupcake with Sam to finish off the night. (the real birthday cake was Saturday)! Sam loves to blow out candles, so my dad was kind enough to share in his event. On Saturday morning, we lathered up in sunscreen, packed a lunch and headed for the mountains of NC to go tubing down the Green River! Sam and Kate sat this trip out and stayed home with my mom's ever gracious friend Debbie and her daughter Molly. We arrived at the Green River Tubing Co. and paid an entire $7 per person to outfit us with a tube and piece of string to tie your bottle of water to your tube (very high tech). We then waited in a tremendous group of people to load a very small bus to take us "up the river." We weren't sure the bus was going to make it up the winding mountain roads, because we for sure looked like the Clampett's all jammed in on this bus. But, we all made it and had a good laugh!! After making it to the river entrance, we met up with my dad's friend Jay, his son Jake and girlfriend Deb who were joining us down the river in their kayaks:) The rapids were small, but in some places enough to dump some people out, which is hilarious. The overall trip took 2.5 hours and was so much fun! My dad loves being outdoors and being in nature so this trip was exactly what he wanted to celebrate his big day...My dad is an amazing man who has taught me more than he will ever know, all the while giving unselfishly of himself to our family and everyone he knows. He is quite an example to me andI hope to someday possess just a small amount of the wisdom he has. I love you dad and hope your birthday was fun and memorable...Looking forward to many many more!!

Dad and Kate sharing a moment on the porch Saturday morning.



No comments:

Following Our Simple Yet Eventful Life