Thursday

In Celebration of a Life Lived for God...X.L. McMahan March 30, 1919-September 16, 2008

Last week our family lost a precious man, my papa, X. L. McMahan. Yes, that is his real name, believe it or not. His parents gave him initials for a name that stood for nothing. I always thought to myself as a child that was the oddest name, but I as a I grew up and began to know the man behind the name, it turned out to be just one of the things that made him unique. A little background on my papa I feel is necessary. He became my papa, and my mom's father, in February of 1975. Valentine's day to be exact. My grandmother was widowed at an early age when her husband, Loran Brannon, whom I am named after, died from a heart attack. My grandmother was left as a single mom to raise my mom, of which she did a fabulous job, if I do say so myself. It took many years, for my grandmother to decide to date again, but when she did, she did so only after receiving permission from my mom. My mom wholeheartedly said yes, because she knew that would not only make her dad happy, but that her mom would have the chance to live out her life possibly with someone and love again! X.L., papa, had also been widowed at a much too early age, when his wife Ruth, died of cancer. Before her death, she made X.L. promise her that he would marry again and live his life fully. My papa said that there was no way anyone would make him as happy as she did, and Ruth stopped him and said that she knew someone whom she would pray he could find someone like and that was my grandmother, Margaret. Amazingly enough over time, my papa, searched out my grandmother and asked her out on a date and the rest is history. It makes my heart smile when I think that God worked so beautifully a plan that two people could find love twice and not just any love, but a godly love that left impressions on anyone they met, but especially the amazing legacy they left for me and my sister. Once they were married my papa became a part of our family and we never once felt the "blood is thicker" concept. He treated my mom as if he had been her biological father all along. He was an unselfish, loving, caring & wise man who brought joy to all of our lives daily. He unabashedly loved my grandmother and you would often hear him say to her "you are my bride, and I love you." It was so sweet watching them hold hands and travel the world together as if they were the youngest of lovers. He was a man of God and would always start his prayers with the powerful yet simple phrase, "thank you God for the privilege of prayer." Our family will forever be changed by him and our lives will be enriched with the memories and legacy he has left behind. He is now with our loving God, serving Him in heaven, as he fully served Him here on earth. We love you Papa!!
post signature

2 comments:

G-Metal, Coco, Angel Face and Bunny said...

Loran, I am so sorry that this world lost such an amazing man and I am so happy for him that he is in heaven with the creator that gave him the priviledge to pray! It sounds like everyone is able to rejoice over his good long Godly- world impacting life and thank you for sharing his story. I would have loved to meet him- someday right!

On a different note, I agree with you about the political situation. I am afraid that American may just get what it asks for if Obama wins- a socailist country with more and more loss of freedoms that we take for granted (or that this generation just doesn't comprehend becuase they're too worried about pop culture). I'm aslo worried about what this country will look like once the head of our "umbrella" if you will, the top authority is someone that isn't a born again christian. No matter what people think of George Bush, as a Christian, you have to belive that God is protecting this country becuase of the President's personal relationship with him and it trickles down on everyone else... just like a father in a home...

Robinson Family said...

What a beautiful love story. Thanks so much for sharing that!

Following Our Simple Yet Eventful Life