Wednesday

Rewarding Good Behavior


I have been on a quest as of late to find ways to motivate my children to love one another, show kindness and to encourage each other daily. I was feeling like the "foolishness" was beginning to win around here and that there was more disciplining than rewarding, so with some brainstorming tips from my dear friend Tricia I etched out a plan. I took two empty baby food jars and wrote Sam and Kate's name on them with paintpen. Then each child was given a small baggie of halloween erasers (tiny ones), Kate received bats and Sam the pumpkins. These came from the $1 items from Target. We sat down and talked about the importance of showing each other kindness with our eyes, words and actions. We also discussed ways in which we could "build each other up" or encourage. After the groundwork was in place we then talked about how we were going to reward with bats or pumpkins each time we caught someone doing something kind or encouraging (without being prompted). Well, let me tell you we have been at this for about 3 weeks and has really turned my kids attitudes right around. They love "showing each other up" with being kind and loving. Now, not to say we haven't had collosal backslides, because we have, but for the most part it has been fun and rewarding for all of us. I mean the less tattling, whining and arguing the better, but to replace it with kind words, affirmations and helpfulness is just plain AWESOME!! Anyway the pictures are of their "treat" for filling up their jars (which took about a week). Their faces say it all:) Starting over with empty jars and hopes of another chance to reward...




post signature

No comments:

Following Our Simple Yet Eventful Life